New Job Posting: Senior Environmental Engineer – Air Quality, Salt Lake City, AECOM
Business Line Environment
Position Title Senior Environmental Engineer – Air Quality
Location Salt Lake City, Utah
AECOM Design Consulting Services Division is hiring a Senior Environmental Engineer to join the Salt Lake City office for immediate employment. This position will be part of the Air Permitting Department within the Central Region. The department, which is responsible for a wide range of air-related work, consists of>100 team members ranging in experience from 1 to over 35 years of experience with plans to grow in numbers and talent. The appropriately qualified applicant will be able to demonstrate a full understanding of air quality permitting and emissions in the state of Utah.
Responsibilities of this position will include executing and assisting with managing projects involving air quality-related environmental compliance services including air permitting, emissions calculations, performing studies and analyses, regulatory research, and compiling and writing reports and other documents.
The candidate will assist with successfully conducting projects for industrial and public clients, while meeting cost, schedule, and quality objectives. The candidate will participate in project teams and coordinate with other AECOM offices doing similar work to share knowledge, and participate in targeted business development activities.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Air quality compliance strategy development specific to the state of Utah
- Interface with clients and regulators
- Complete projects on time and accurately
- Promote and demonstrate a positive, team-oriented attitude
- Perform quality checks on other team members’ technical work products
- Conduct/direct annual emissions inventories
- Lead the preparation of air emission permit applications
- Determine sources and methods of controlling pollutants in air utilizing knowledge of chemistry, meteorology, engineering principles and applied technologies
- Inspect industrial facilities and programs to evaluate operational effectiveness and verify compliance with environmental regulations
- Apply principles of engineering to solve environmental problems
- Apply knowledge of applicable health and safety requirements and environmental concerns
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering or similar degree – preferably Chemical, Mechanical or Civil Engineering
- 10+ years of experience including 7 years of air quality permitting, including PSD and Title V as well as emissions control and compliance programs
- Understand EPA and State of Utah regulations, guidelines and policies
- Ability to perform emissions calculations using engineering principles
- Experience with air quality task management, including contributing to proposals, communicating with clients, working in project teams, coordinating technical tasks, and writing reports
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills
- Must have strong written and oral communication, quantitative, and interpersonal skills
- Must have strong work ethic and professional demeanor
- Independent thinker with a strategic mindset while being detail oriented and able to work as part of a team
- Candidate must be proactive on projects and demonstrate initiative
- Proficient use of PC- based applications (MS Word and Excel) and good typing skills
- Familiarity with air dispersion modeling
For more information and to apply for this position: https://aecom.jobs/salt-lake-city-ut/senior-environmental-engineer-air-quality/47293D3D502042BF935E826CF96400E2/job/
New Job Posting: Work Study – Environmental Air Quality, Rio Tinto Kennecott
- Exposure to a truly global company
- Opportunity to build/enhance your professional skill set
- Growth and education opportunities – Salt Lake City
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals group that focuses on finding, mining, processing and marketing the earth’s mineral resources. We have been in business for more than 140 years and remain focused on the long term. We’re committed to sustainable and innovative ways to do business, deliver results and build a great work environment. It’s how we grow – it’s how you grow.
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
We are looking for a Work Study – Environmental Air Quality to join the Rio Tinto Kennecott Environmental team on a part-time basis and assist in completing regulatory reporting tasks and to aid the Senior Engineer and Air Quality Engineer in larger projects in order to comply with state and federal environmental air quality permitting requirements. Rio Tinto Kennecott is a fully integrated mining operation located just outside Salt Lake City, Utah, US. Kennecott is a wholly owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto. For more than 110 years, Kennecott has been mining and processing minerals from the rich orebody of the Bingham Canyon Mine. Kennecott is a strong economic driver and strives to be a valuable community partner through strategic partnerships, charitable giving and sustainable development practices.
What the Role Entails
This role is a great opportunity for a part-time student in a science-related field to gain exposure to a large and complex mining environmental operation and build his/her professional skills set. Reporting to the Principal Advisor – Air Regulatory & Compliance, you will be:
- Collecting and analyzing data using data acquisition systems for the submittal of environmental monitoring reports required by the existing permit
- Communicating with facility and other personnel to collect data to support the development of technical reports
- Supporting compliance stack testing by coordinating test results and files along with onsite activities in conjunction with the Air Quality Engineer
- Assisting the Senior Engineer and Air Quality Engineer in completion of annual compliance reports by compiling data and drafting report summaries
- Developing environmental monitoring system support technologies including building and managing Air Quality team workspace and online access to data trends
- Assisting with impromptu investigations and field activities pertaining to emissions trends, facility compliance, reclamation, and GIS data entry which supports both Air Quality and other Environmental teams
What You Will Need for This Role
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- A High School Diploma or equivalent
- Undertaking a science-related Bachelor’s Degree program
- Intermediate computer proficiency
- Very strong organizational and time management ability
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) with various stakeholders
- Flexible hours between 8:00am and 6:00pm
- Typically approx. 8-10 hours per week during school
- During summer and other school breaks, students can work up to full time
- Long term internship possible (multi-year)
- Students undertaking a science-related degree are preferred
- Please send resumes to Cassady.Kristensen@RioTinto.
If this sounds like you and the opportunity you are looking for, apply now. Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all prescreening questions.
If you would like to know more about careers at Rio Tinto, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or join us on LinkedIn.
Please fill out the form below to post a job announcement. Each job will be reviewed by the Great Basin Chapter prior to posting.